The Ottawa Catholic School Board invites applications from candidates interested in being considered for Continuing Education supply or term positions in the following categories, which may become available at anytime during the school year. In accordance with Board Policy, an acceptable Police Record Check for the Vulnerable Sector will be required as a condition of employment.
We are accepting applications for the following positions. Fill details are provided below.
- General Interest Program Instructors
- Supply International Languages Program (Elementary) Instructors
- Supply Literacy and Basic Skills Instructors
- Supply English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructors
General Interest Program Instructors
General Interest Program Instructors give classes and workshops in a variety of areas including craft making, fitness, cooking, babysitting, computer courses and many more. You are requested to call Continuing Education at 613-228-3338 and ask for a course submission form in order to outline the course you would like to offer.
Supply International Languages Program (Elementary) Instructors
Candidates must have knowledge of and fluency of the international language. Previous teaching experience would be considered an asset. Please note, this position runs for 2.5 hours on Saturday mornings. In accordance with Board Policy, an acceptable Police Record Check for the Vulnerable Sector and a negative tuberculin test (obtained within the last 12 months) will be required as a condition of employment.
Languages: Amharic; Bulgarian; Cantonese; Croation; Czech; Dutch; Filipino; Hungarian; Italian; Korean; Mandarin; Polish; Portuguese; Panjabi; Romanian; Russian; Slovak; Somali; Spanish; Tigrina; Turkish; Yoruba
Rate of Pay: $15.45 plus 4% vacation pay (depending on qualifications)
Supply Literacy and Basic Skills Instructors
Candidates will be selected on the basis of their qualifications and experience, and tests may be administered to determine levels of proficiency. As per the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities, program guidelines and expectations such as assessment levels, expectations and training development familiarity is an asset.
- University degree and additional training/experience in teaching adults
- Adult Literacy and Basic Skills Certification OR
- Registration with the Ontario College of Teachers and holding a Certificate of Qualification or an Interim Certificate of Qualification, plus appropriate additional qualification course (i.e. Special Education Part I, Reading Part I, Adult Education, etc)
- Appropriate Master's degree with specialization in adult literacy and/or numeracy
- Equivalent qualifications to the above as determined at the discretion of the program management
Location: St. Nicholas Adult High School, 893 Admiral Avenue, Ottawa
Rate of Pay: The salary is $26.84 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
Supply English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructors
Under the supervision of the Site Administrator, the instructor is responsible for the instruction of learners in English as a Second Language instruction. Candidates will be selected on the basis of their qualifications and experience, and tests may be administered to determine levels of proficiency.
- Certification in teaching English as a Second Language (TESL Ontario Certification)
- Proficiency of the English language and an undergraduate degree or demonstrated acceptable equivalency in education or experience, as determined by the Board
- Experience in working with adults learning a second language
- The ability to work co-operatively as a team member in a multicultural environment
Rate of Pay: $26.84 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)